We hope you enjoy our new Parenting Collection upstairs by the juvenile non-fiction. Included in the collection are a variety of relevant topics from pregnancy to infancy to adolescence. Topics include pregnancy, childhood milestones, childhood and adolescent development, discipline, family issues such as divorce, death, and adoption, materials for parents of children with special needs, gifted education, potty training, Internet and stranger safety, homeschooling, health issues such as fitness, illness, and sex education, reading and math skills development, and playtime activities. If you are seeking a parenting topic we don’t have in our collection please let us know via phone, email, or in person. We seek to build a collection that is relevant to our users.
Below are links to great websites for parents, caregivers, and kids, as recommended by the American Library Association.
Recommended sites for Parents and Caregivers
- Emergency Housing Guide Caring.com
- Pennsylvania Core Standards Pennsylvania’s Core Standards in English Language Arts and Mathematics
- Cerebral Palsy Guide Children who suffer from birth injuries will require specialized medical treatment and therapy. Cerebral Palsy Guide provides in-depth details about diagnosis, treatment options, financial assistance, and legal aid.
- National Center for Learning Disabilities
- Top 10 Benefits of Puzzle Solving for Adults The science behind it. Crosswordsolver.com
- Camp Lejeune Water Contamination Between the 1950s and late 1980s, individuals at U.S. Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune were exposed to toxic chemicals in their drinking water. These chemicals have been proven to cause cancer, congenital disabilities, and other serious health conditions. After decades of investigations and tireless advocacy, new laws allow Camp Lejeune water contamination victims to take action by filing claims against the US Government. These lawsuits are separate from VA claims and will not affect any VA benefits.
Recommended Sites for K12: Books, Digital Life, and DIY
- Dewey Decimal Guide for Kids
- AdLit Adolescent Literacy has resources for parents and educators of kids in grades 4-12 to build background knowledge and reading comprehension. This site offers classroom strategies, book and author recommendations, blogs, newsletters, research and reports as well as a Spanish link
- Amazing Kids Magazine
- BBC Bitesize Learn with videos, games, exam review Ages 3-16, many languages
- Booklist Reviews and information about new books and media for children
- Bookworm for Kids
- Children’s Book Council
- Children’s Book Review
- Digital Citizenship Free! All students need digital citizenship skills to participate fully in their communities and make smart choices online and in life. Award-winning K–12 Digital Citizenship Curriculum.
- DIY Kids Every kid is a creator
- GetSet4K Month by month guide for Kindergarten readiness
- How to Use Technology to Support ELLs (English Language Learners)
- Kids World Citizen Activities that help young minds go global
- Kids and Screens Workshops for families with kids age 0–8
- Look to Libraries in Time of Crisis (ALSC) Association for Library Services to Children