915 North Union Street
Residence of Dr. and Mrs. Herbert Henderson

This home was built in 1922 by the owner of the Wincroft Stove Works. When the Hendersons acquired the house and grounds in 1969, it was the fulfillment of a childhood dream for Dr. Henderson. As a youngster, he had lived for a time in the apartment over the garage with his uncle, Jack Davis, who was employed in the summer as a caretaker by the original owners. On an elegant and gracious scale, the house was designed in the Dutch Colonial mode. Through the years, the Hendersons have made changes: a new kitchen and new baths. The tile floor in the grandchildren’s playroom is an especially fine period feature. The circular back porch was the last addition about five years ago. The Henderson’s home was a lively, “lived in” one, where four active children were raised, along with numerous pets. When all of their children and grandchildren come home together, it once again can be quite lively!

460 North Union Street
The George Smuller House
He (Harmony) Chinese Restaurant

Built in 1835, this late-Federal-style urban mansion reflects the business stature of George Smuller, who was toll collector on the Union Canal and later, president of the National Bank of Middletown. A close associate of Simon Cameron, Smuller acquired the property for $800 in 1834 with an existing two-story log cabin and immediately began construction of his new residence. The 2.5 story house is five bays wide, with pitched roof and dormers, gabled-end wall double chimneys, and six over six sashed windows. The house was owned by successive generations of the Smuller family for nearly 150 years. It was “Victorianized” through the installation of a decorative front entrance canopy and etched glass in the vestibule. George Smuller Mish restored the house in the 1920s in Colonial Revival fashion. The traditional floor plan includes 12-foot ceilings, oak floors, and a center hall and staircase with original newel post, walnut spindles and chestnut rails. Two marble fireplaces grace the large front-to-rear music room. Outside, a Victorian-styled gazebo is a focal point. The Bosleys purchased the home in 2006 and continue the restoration and preservation of the residence and grounds. In 2016 it as purchased by Howard Dong, who opened a Authentic Xi’an Chinese Food Restaurant called He (meaning Harmony). The seating for the restaurant mixes modern furniture with the traditional features of the house.

429 North Union Street
The Baldwin-Force Home

Built prior to 1745, this three-story home of log construction is one of the oldest homes in what is now Dauphin County. The home was built on land deeded to George Fisher from William Penn. The house has a center staircase with spacious living rooms on either side of the center hall. Part of the original log and brick construction can be seen in one room.

163 West Main Street
The Croll House
Residence of Anne and Gordon Einhorn

The Federal style home is commonly referred to as the Croll House, having been owned by the Croll family for approximately 200 years. The original owner of the home was probably John Croll (1767-1825) who moved to Middletown from York County and established a tannery business next door on the site of what is now Verizon Telephone. The original stone portion of the house, which is now the kitchen, is believed to have been built in the late 1700s. This room originally had a large double walk-in fireplace, which was removed during 1930s renovations. The upper level of the kitchen was probably a summer kitchen and was not enclosed and made a part of the house until 1911. The main frame portion of the house was built in the early 1800s by one of the sons of John Croll. Walking from the “newer” portion of the house into the older kitchen area, visitors will notice the lower ceilings and thicker outer walls of the structure. The lower ceilings are particularly obvious in the second floor hallway. Almost a century ago, the Rev. John Croll, a descendant of the original owner, made certain improvements to the house including the addition of the cellar in 1912, the side porch in 1918 and electricity in 1922. Attached to the rear of the house by a breezeway is a Sweitzer style bank barn, which may be the only barn remaining in Middletown Borough. The Einhorns purchased the property from the Croll family in 1996. The main project undertaken by the Einhorns since acquiring the property was the restoration and upgrading of the old stone kitchen, which was expanded by incorporating the summer kitchen area as a raised dining area.

3 East Main Street-On the Square
Laverty’s Drugstore

Built prior to 1835, this Federal style three-story home with mansard roof was owned by the Laverty family for almost 150 years. Dr. T.C. Laverty came to Middletown in 1853 and practiced medicine, dentistry and operated a drug store in the home. His son Eugene bought the store in 1881 and operated it until his death in 1960. The current owner acquired the property in 1996 and has been restoring the home to reflect its historical beauty. A foyer with double doors flanked by red stained glass and transom opens into a center hall with a staircase to the third floor. To the left is the former pharmacy, which retains many of the 10-pane-each glass-door cabinets. High ceilings and hardwood floors add to the charm. The second floor has a library with original marble sink, likely used by Dr. Laverty. A cook’s fireplace dominates the formal dining room, however, none of the home’s seven fireplaces are in working order. The antiques and period furniture throughout the home are family heirlooms and estate auction purchases.

30 East Main Street
Residence of Gary Barkley

The Simon Cameron house, restored by Gary Barkley, was built in 1833. It was connected on all floors to the earlier stone house at 28 East Main Street, which served as the Bank of Middletown until September of 1894. The brick house was built by Simon Cameron for his family while he served as cashier of the bank from 1832-1850. The Camerson children, Simon, Margaret, and Virginia were born here. In 1850, Cameron’s son, J. Donald Cameron, took over as cashier for the bank. The properties were owned by Cameron from 1832-1885, by Isaac O. Nissley from 1885-1888, by Charles W. Raymond from 1888-1901 and by Theodore Laverty Jr. from 1901-1955. Simon Cameron became Lincoln’s first Secretary of War. His son J. Donald Cameron later became President Grant’s Secretary of War. The Cameron house and bank were placed on the national Register of Historic Places on November 21, 1976 by the United States Department of the Interior for U.S. historical and architectural significance. Both the house and bank retain their original interior and exterior architecture.

14 North Union Street
The Frank House

Built around 1905, this structure could be considered the newest “old home on this part of Union Street. This house was originally built by Mr. and Mrs. John Frank and was later sold to Mr. and Mrs. Ardel Light. The Lights’ granddaughter sold the house to the Culps. Through the years, this home’s features have retained their authenticity, including intricate woodwork, hardwood floors, an original staircase, marble fireplace and colorful stained glass window.

307 East Main Street
This two-story brick home was built in 1859 by John Rupp. The Eisenhours acquired it in 1990 from Roger’s Uncle Charles and Aunt Susan Beard, who owned it from 1932-1990. Through the original door with red glass side lights are walls, doors and most trim work original to the house. Pine floors and a staircase that runs to the attic have been restored. A faux fireplace hides pipes and wires to the second floor while the kitchen ceiling has open rafters. A corner cupboard found in the dining room pre-dates 1900. The master bedroom features Shaker style built-in cabinets and drawers.

274 East Main Street
Residence of Larry and Rosemary Weirich

One of the oldest homes in the Borough of Middletown, (although the actual date is unknown), this structure probably dates to the early-mid 1700s. Initially a log house, there are original walls exposed in the kitchen and living room.

273 North Union Street
Built between 1830-1835, this house has had additional rooms added at the rear and side. There is burly maple flooring, laid in 1910, and chestnut woodwork. The home has exterior wood siding, an interior brick wall, black-walnut beams and several fireplaces. The downstairs bathroom dates back to the 1880-1890 era. Many Middletown residents born in the 1920s-30s took piano lessons in the spacious living room from past owner Haddie Fisher. The current owners purchased the home in 1995.

120 North Union Street
Built in 1862 in the Italianate style, this home features a wraparound porch with ten columns. There is a traditional tall foyer with formal staircase. The front parlour once served as a doctor’s office and features floor-length windows which open fully onto the porch. This room and the master bedroom have their original random width pine flooring. Two of the upstairs bedrooms have been furnished in late Victorian style, including an adjoining office and dressing room. The current owner moved to Middletown in January, 2005. The house shows his interest in antique mechanical musical devices, including a rare nickelodeon, Victorian parlour organ, and player piano on the first floor.

254 South Spring Street
Built in 1861, William and Nancy Taxweiler acquired the home in 1977. There are 13 rooms in the house with a 6-room, 2-bath addition, perfect as in-law quarters. According to the deeds, at least five doctors have lived in the home. The Taxweilers have the first wiring certificate, dated 1903, and a piece of signed plaster from 1863. There were 53 windows and 10 outside doors in 1977 and the Taxweilers removed two windows and four doors before having the home sided. The home is restored to maintain its historic integrity, and features leaded glass, plank flooring, original woodwork, fireplaces, high ceilings, and a Victorian living room.

36 West High Street
Residence of Charles and Jeanne Bowen

Built in 1867, the house was purchased by the Bowens in 1986. It was believed to be a rooming house in the late 1940’s. In 1999 an upstairs porch was converted into a tv/computer room and in 2000 the dining room was opened onto the first floor porch and converted into a winterized sun room. The original carriage house with its double set of wood doors now serves as a two-car garage.

101 West Main Street
Built in 1919, this Georgian style home is often referred to as the Clouser Home. There was once a law office on the lower level with a separate entrance on Main Street. There is a gracious doorway with leaded glass, fan light and window which opens to a wide maple stairway. The living room features a fireplace, two sets of French doors, hardwood floors and custom woodwork.

206 Nissley Street
Residence of Donald and Pearl Sweger

This Sears and Roebuck bungalow was built in the 1930s by the Fenner family who sold it to the McHenry family in the 1950s. The McHenrys added a furnace and backyard fence. This unique and cozy home has original hardwood floors and stained woodwork throughout. The Swegers have owned the home since the 1980s and have expanded the kitchen by enclosing a screened porch, built a stone fireplace in the living room, and added a large master bedroom and bath to the 2nd floor.

271 Selma Avenue
Residence of John Ziats and Jeannie Dunaway

Frank J. Ziats, Sr. built this house in 1937 from salvaged materials from the “Five Points,” a row of gabled pointed houses that stood on the NW corner of Catherine and Main Streets. It is a documented stop on the “Underground Railroad” which helped slaves flee north prior to and during the Civil War. The house has five bedrooms, an eat-in kitchen, enclosed front and back porches, and a 22-foot long living room. Decorated in a casual cottage style using mostly secondhand furnishings, it creates a nostalgic atmosphere reminiscent of when the seven Ziats children lived there, and now for their grandchildren. In the back garden there is a small barn.

277 West Main Street
Bradley Mansion

Built in 1889 by British industrialist JT Bradley, this Stick-Eastlake mansion was purchased in 2004 by innkeeper Blake Mauney, who operates a tea room and gift shop. The home features a cold storage and underground wine cellar, 17 original stained-glass windows and a 5-mile view from the tower. The home was a funeral parlor in the mid-20th century and a sweeping staircase greets visitors who enter through the double stained glass front doors. There are hardwood floors, and all orig. pocket doors, shutters and portiere rods remain. It is now owned by Penn State Harrisburg and used as the rental office for Campus Heights Apartments.

262 Spring Street
Built in the early 1900’s, this three story home is the only single family brownstone house in Middletown. It was the former home to the Bell Telephone Company. It features the original wood floors, doors, and staircase. It’s unique character and charm warms this home year round. Since purchased in 2006 by the Burkes, it has been completely renovated inside, including new windows, kitchen, bathrooms, and much more. Each room of this brownstone features a beautiful mixture of old and new decorations. Its historic charm has been brought back to life with fresh and warm colors throughout the home.

48 N. Union Street
Crafted in 1885 by I. O. Nissley, owner and editor of the Middetown Press Newspaper, this Queen Anne Victorian has been beautifully maintained. Features include original doors and shutters, hardwood floors, pocket doors, and a magnificent staircase. Other details include fretwork, stained glass transoms, an upstairs balcony, intricate hardware, and beautiful fireplaces in the living room and parlor. Furnishings include a blend of both antiques and reproductions.

115 N. Spruce Street
This pre-world war II red brick house was built by Ed Nusky who worked for the Middletown Post Office. When Brenda Myers Klocko and husband Walt moved back into town, they purchased the house in December of 2003 from the Fuote’s who had planted several trees on the property. The Klocko’s have restored the original hardwood floors on both levels, remodeled the kitchen, and converted an outdoor patio into a smoking den. Using their eclectic style, Brenda and Walt have filled their home with antiques, photographs and art work collected throughout their travels. The original working fireplace in the living room adds to the warm charming atmosphere found throughout this home

248 N. Union Street
The house was built about 1893 and transferred ownership several times until purchased by Janie and Brian Demko in 1976. Prior to 1976, the home was owned by James Hipple for about 25 years, who operated a beauty shop in what are now the two living rooms separated by a large foyer. There are several stained glass windows on the first floor, the first surrounding the front door, a built-in leaded glass cabinet in the dining room and intricately designed windows at the top of the stairs. Interestingly, the glass windows have a Christmas theme. The large kitchen also has a back stairway to the landing at the top of the stairs. The second floor master bedroom has a sitting area and leaded glass French doors and windows. There are five other bedrooms, three of which are on the third floor, along with a full bath.

Some information taken from 2011 Middletown Borough website. All photos by John Grayshaw