Children’s Librarian/Youth Services Aide
The primary responsibility of this position is the coordination and implementation of the Library’s services for children and teens. The Children’s Librarian/Youth Services Aide will have full supervision of the Children’s Area and maintain a quiet, safe, productive and attractive environment. The position involves working directly with children and their parents or caregivers. It is important that the person with this title genuinely likes children and teens, is comfortable with them, and enjoys serving them. It is imperative that the person in this position likes and knows children’s and YA literature. The Children’s Librarian’s work station is on the second floor in the Children’s Area so they will be asked reference questions about this area. In addition, the position may involve some time at the Circulation Desk, but not as a primary assignment. This is a highly visible and responsible position. Above all, the person in this position should present a positive image of the library, making all people feel welcome and accepted at the Library.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Developing, planning and presenting children’s and teen programming
- Planning and coordinating the Library’s summer reading program
- Selecting and ordering children’s and YA books and materials
- Weeding the children’s and YA sections of the Library
- Assisting patrons in finding information, locating materials, or answering reference questions.
- Designing and creating promotional materials for children’s and teens’ programming. Designing displays and bulletin boards in the Children’s Area and YA Area of the library
- Utilizing library website and social media to promote library events (very basic programming skills need)
- Helping to develop fundraisers and finding grant opportunities to purchase children’s and teen materials and fund children’s programming
- Exploring initiatives for promoting early childhood literacy
- Working the Circulation Desk as needed
- Helping supervise volunteers, work study students, interns, etc.
- Attending community events to promote the library as needed
- Miscellaneous other duties as assigned
-A professional, friendly, helpful, positive attitude.
-Ability to work well with children and teens.
-Ability to work well with the public and all other staff members.
-Dependability, punctuality, honesty, and trustworthiness.
-Ability to accept change gracefully.
-Ability to accept constructive criticism.
-Recognition of the need for discretion in dealing with the public and making statements to patrons.
-A sense of humor and flexible nature.
-A willingness to help out in special situations and cooperate as a team member with the Library staff in performing any duty essential to the achievement of efficient library operations.
A College degree is preferred. A degree in Library Science or Education is highly desirable. Good knowledge of children’s literature is a must and experience working with children is desired.
This position reports directly to the Library Director. This position cooperates with other staff members to meet the needs of the public, community, and the Library.
Hours and Compensation
This is a part-time position of 18-20 hours a week. Salary commensurate with experience.
Background checks and clearances required.
Please e-mail resume, cover letter, and professional references to John Grayshaw, Library Director: John.Grayshaw@middletownpubliclib.org